Monday, June 23, 2008

"You're Riding The Wave, Or At Least On The Beach..."

This title is taken from the lyrics of "Nine Percent Chance," which is one of my all-time top five favorite songs of HIGH FIDELITY. I have to relate that line to the experience of the past couple of weeks: it really has been a wave to ride - a wave of fun, emotion, exhaustion, laughter, tears, unexpected moments, and extreme creativity.

So we've finished our second weekend of the show. Halfway done. That seems unbelievable to comprehend... It's exciting to know that we still have two weekends to perform, but concerning to realize how quickly it has gone so far. I will miss this show immensely when it closes...

Seems like it was another great series of shows. Friday and Saturday night were completely sold out (word to the wise - get your tix IN ADVANCE if you are planning to see the show). Lots of friends and colleagues in the audience, which was very cool. All of the written and verbal reviews of the show have been overwhelmingly positive, which is always so encouraging. It seems like the crowds not only enjoy the show, but they really "get it," too...

I've had a lot of folks tell me some really encouraging things after the shows, too. There is a very talented local actor, whose work I respect immensely, who grabbed me in a bear hug while saying: "You made him so real." That made my night, to say the least... To borrow from Rob's view of the world, those are probably the top five words I've ever been lucky enough to receive about a performance...

I've enjoyed having some downtime last night and tonight, but now I'm itching for Thursday to roll around again, so that we can revisit this complex and fun world again. My brothers, Mark and Steve, are driving up from Arkansas to see the show on Saturday night. I'm extremely excited for that, and so grateful to them for making this effort. Cool side note: we are three of the only folks who saw the show on Broadway in 2006. Mark was living in Stamford, CT, and Steve and I went to visit during the holiday season. I insisted on seeing one show since we were going to be in NYC, and they agreed. I picked this one, thinking that it would be perfect for three young, single guys who love music. We all enjoyed it a lot, and were surprised when it closed so quickly. Once they found out I was playing Rob in the first post-NYC production, they were all about trying to get up here to see it. I'm thrilled that they are coming, and I can't wait to get their feedback after seeing this very different take from the Broadway production. It will be fun to hang out together, too. Look out, St. Louis - the Wright Brothers are in town...

I had a cast party on Saturday night. I think it was a success, based on the time of morning that it wrapped up, as well as the amounts of trash produced. Seriously, it was a good time. I always love filling up my house with a bunch of crazy theatre-folk. We ate and drank heartily, and the conversations quickly went south, which is always hilarious... My dog Roxie loved the company and the scraps that she was fed. Thanks to everyone for coming over!

That's all for the moment. Best to all who read this.

Rock On,
Jeff

No comments: